Friday, February 12, 2010

Today I had a very interesting conversation. I certainly relish such an experience because i'm not sure whether everyone does have the opportunity, and my self-thoughts might sound like it, but i don't so much as look down on ppl. To put it simply, it's a highlight of today.

It happened at one of the companies i send goods to. I sat down with the guy who was collecting the purchase order, and he suddenly went all brotherly with me. Was a little taken aback but well ... everything was in mandarin so i gotta translate ..

Guy: Eh so do you all need to work on saturday?

It didn't strike me immediately that saturday is cny eve as my first thoughts were, hmmm i don't even consider myself as working on any day at all.

Me: Saturday? eh no no need work.

Then it hit me its cny eve.

Me: Oh but its cny eve leh.

Guy: Ya lor ... you know how usually companies will paste some notice to inform the staff if there's half-day ... don't have leh ... damn effed up ...

Me: ummm ... but then need to eat reunion dinner right?

Guy: Ya haiz sian ... but nvm la i gonna quit soon ... my friend introduced me to a job ... better pay also ... now 1.something k work here work until so jialat the pay also a bit only nia ... at least there 1.6k then got commission ...

Me: ahh ok .. ok...

Guy: You leh? Work as driver (i think he meant it as delivery man) should have at least 1.8k right ...

Me: (you can't be serious ... 1.8k ... me a delivery man ... wait till the rest hear about this ...) ehh still okay la ... my company is rather new ...

Guy: Ah new company is good! Got chance to rise and get promoted!

Me: (rise and get promoted? i don't know promote to what leh) hahaha! -mega smile-

Guy: My friend's company last time also new ... then now quite big already!

------

So yeah .. like what i said, i like blending in with this side of society. Makes me realise much more about reality.

In school i learn about downward social comparison ... helps you feel better about yourself. My mum always asked me why do you always compare your test results to classmates who have scored poorer ... I think she always wanted me to do well ... then in recent years, she has been asking me to cultivate a sense of self-contentment. Pretty confusing for a kid like me. Today's event proved to me that it's important to strive higher, because i do not want to be a delivery man forever, and also to appreciate the things you have in life and to remember to count your blessings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home