Saturday, October 02, 2010



Amidst all the busy-ness and flurry of work that I had to deal with in my first week, I had made the effort to consciously 'feel' this transition. Most of the times, I feel like "YES! This is finally beginning!" and I do feel extremely positive and excited about all that are going to happen. The 'old' me would have felt like this all the time I think, and would have been like an energizer bunny scampering all over the place trying to please everyone.

At the same time, I begin to see the 'realistic' nature of the corporate world. Whispers and lowered-tones of sensitive topics indicate the true underlying meanings of certain things, and behind the smiles, hide many other things. It's hard to fully comprehend for now, but I am learning. =)

But don't misunderstand, for I totally love what I am doing. Chris passed me his key to the room because I got to reach much earlier next week due to exams, hence I can now stay till as late as I want to finish up instead of having to be cut off halfway.

Another interesting thing is, I am interacting a lot more with "family people". These people have their own families ... spouses and children to consider apart from their work and it's an immense inspiration to hear them talk about their family members. It's like everyone is working hard at their job so that they can fulfill their dream, but ultimately those with their families, it is for those back at home. =)

In the last 2 weeks or so, I've been asking myself what kind of a lady would I marry?

Then I met her. Or rather 'them' ... at my work this week. =x

Haha .. to be honest, I am thoroughly amazed by how much my values have changed.

Anyway, she is effectively bilingual, smart, enjoys a laugh, very capable and confident, serious in her work, beautiful, and loves her children to bits.

Yes she is already married =p

I mean there are definitely much more qualities in her, but it's hard to put them in words, especially when right now I can only conjure up boring and way-too-common words.

It's the weekend. And although I like the part whereby time has 'slowed' down and I am allowed to do what I want to do, I still like my coffee somewhere, just to chill. So weird I am so into coffee now.

-----------------------

"I clocked in and noticed that at 2pm, I had come within minutes of being late. I literally shuddered with the thought. Why had I wasted precious time in Grand Central contemplating the past and almost fucked up my future? I was furious with myself, and I promised that I would give myself more time next time.

Less past, more future! I kept telling myself, a kind of mantra I wanted to believe.

Anxious to prove myself, I still hesitated in going out front with the other Partners. Over two months and I had yet to handle a cash register. The thought terrified me. So I just stood there in the neutral zone of Crystal's tiny office space, hoping to be assigned more cleaning today. One more day away from those dreaded cash registers. Yet Crystal seemed barely to notice me. She was so involved with her computer.

Ever glamorous, her lustrous hair fell to her shoulders perfectly, and she wore expensive gold jewelry on each hand. I stood behind her hoping to catch her attention. Crystal had a rare ability to focus despite anyone else being in her tiny office space."
-Michael Gill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home