Sunday, October 03, 2010



Have been feeling emotional for a bit. Perhaps with the death of Mrs LKY, the great stories that I've been reading of her, and the learning of who she REALLY was, we all realized we have lost someone great.

To be able feel like that means I can empathize, and understand. I think we mourn, but we must recognize as well, that she had led a great life, one full of purpose and character. Moreover, we must all respect that she had lived a life that was rare for an asian woman of her generation. A strong leader, a supportive wife and a loving mother.

I marvel at her ability to assimilate herself into the role of practically everything. From the calm presence to the strongly competitive nature of hers, I wonder how such a person could be like. Perhaps it is with strong regret that I didn't know her better before, and didn't have the chance to find out more about her then.

-------------------------

"I also kicked myself for not listening to my daughter Laura over many years. Laura had a beautiful halo of brown hair that echoed the sparkle of her hazel eyes, and I had a picture of her now shaking her head in angry frustration as I refused to "get it." She had devoted much time to trying to introduce me to a more realistic view of the world, and because I had been so insensitive, I had failed to listen to her. Laura had a dynamic, positive energy; she laughed easily but she also had a feeling for how unfair life could be and as she grew up, she had adopted African-American causes like affirmative action. She would sit across the table from me during dinner and toss her beautiful curls in frustration as we argued. I had dismissed Laura's feelings and ideas of how to help others less fortunate as "hopelessly naive." I had been secure in my bubble of self-congratulation: convinced that my top job in advertising and my resulting affluence were my just reward for being a great, talented guy ... not simply status and success virtually given to me by birth and fortunate colour in a world ruled by "middle-aged white men of your generation," as Laura had once phrased it."
-Michael Gill, Author of How Starbucks Saved My Life

It definitely took me a long time ... 可是我现在真的开始领悟了。 I realized I've been thinking a bit about how the future would be like, with regards to whoever that comes in. And all the thoughts about how I would be like with the person and 're-live' in an entirely new manner. But I still want the person to be you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home